Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Its Always an Adventure

Every time I think about updating this thing, I come back in and realize its been a month....sometimes more.  And then I realize that it feels like the longest month ever...or the shortest...and that everything and nothing seems to be going on simultaneously.  And I begin to wonder exactly where it is I'm headed and when I'm going to get there....then I remember that if I just keep moving, I'll eventually be moving forward and get where I'm going.  That New Year's update I promised, it might end up being a happy 2016 post - its been a hell of a year, friends.

Now that I'm a bit more up and running (literally and figuratively), and having adventures again (or maybe just feel like writing about them), hopefully I'll be better about blogging.  I do have a 50-miler to start training for, that's bound to be good for an adventure or two....haha....

Anyway, the past couple weeks have been great personally - seeing friends, getting cleared to run, working races, plans to join the gym, planning the future with Brian....I was so excited for a three day weekend.  I definitely needed it!  Friday, we got lucky and were told to leave the office early (ah-maz-ing).  I had scheduled a nail appointment later in the evening - I finally had to breakdown and find a place in Redwood City since I never back it back to San Francisco before 7 (in time to go to my usual place).  So, I decided to use the extra time to fill up the car for the race the next day and join the gym...and then use the rest of the time to walk and get some miles in.

But, fate had other plans.  I drove down and checked out the gym....and had second thoughts...like maybe I'd check out the other one in Redwood City.  So, I decided to go to the gas station and google the address of the second one while the car was filling.  Unfortunately, the second gym was across town and not convenient from the office at all.  So, I decide to suck it up and join the first one...it's only a month, anyway.  I finish filling the car and get on the road back to the gym....I'm hanging out at  the stoplight, waiting for the light to change.  There were at least two lanes, maybe three....one was a left turn only lane - this one had its own light.  The arrow for the left turn only lane turned green and BAM!

I'm not really sure what was worse, feeling the impact or hearing the crunching sound.  Unlike when Brian and I got hit at the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza, this was not like bumper cars.  It was like a fight...that slimer obviously lost.  I heard the crunching and for a minute, wasn't really sure what to do next.  First, I pulled over on the corner, and then decided I should probably just pull back into the gas station.  So I did - met the other driver and called the insurance from there.  Somehow, I kept it together while waiting to lose it, but that never happened.  The 'other guy' was a giant pick-up truck with what's apparently called a kangaroo bumper.  Unfortunately, as I thought, slimer was no match for him, but, the driver was nice as we sorted everything out.  The insurance company was great - yay Progressive, and at least that bit was sorted pretty quickly.

Then, then I wasn't sure what to do.  Brian was I work, so I sent him a text and a few photos....then called my mom.  Cause, well, what else do you do.  After chatting with my parents for a bit, I decided to go to about my business as planned - headed back to the gym to sign up and then to my nail appointment.  I was either going to have a scary drive home now or an hour and a half from now, right?  And with the adrenaline running strong, I didn't really feel all that sore.

So, with my nails a pretty color, a plan in place to get to the race in the morning, and a double check that my bumper wasn't going to fall off on the 101, I headed home.  It wasn't as scary as I thought it might be, though I did have someone run a stop sign in Noe Valley and try to take me out...cause that's exactly what I needed.....What I did need was to be home, with some wine, and a couch...and a massage - now that the adrenaline was wearing off, I was definitely feeling the soreness.

I woke up the next morning, but not nearly as sore as I thought I might be.  After spending the night
between being terrified that I was going to wake up in a world of hurt and feeling like I was going to
be sick (but in retrospect was probably due to soreness from my abs), I was really afraid for what I might feel like, but other than a few creaks and groans, it wasn't too bad.

I spent Saturday in the same fashion I've spent the past few weekends - adventuring on the trails; as a course marker, sweeper, race photographer, aid station worker, shuttle driver, and everything in between.  Its been so much fun....and, as I said last Sunday, always an adventure.  And really, with as crazy as life has been, Coastal Trails has been my constant and for that, I will be forever grateful. Thankfully, this weekend was a shorter race and there wasn't any marking or sweeping involved.  Typically, I love marking and sweeping, but it was almost like I'd gotten hit by a truck or something.  Nothing a couple of Advil couldn't fix, and I think walking around actually helped me loosen up a bit.  And, as always, working the race was a ton of fun....I'm kind of sad that I can't go back until October.

Yesterday, I decided to officially get back into running and headed over to Mt. Tam with Brian and his friend Ann.  I got in an eight mile summit run and then two miles on some flat ground, because what else would you do when you've been cleared to run for a week and you were in a car accident two days prior.  Well, my idea of taking it easy was always different than everyone else's...anyway, I had so much fun running, and maybe if I add two or five or so miles each week, I'll be ready for north face.....haha. God help me.

Monday, we hit the gym and then had a BBQ with our friends Sean and Chiara.  Delicious Mac and cheese and steak, and fun drinks and games. Great way to spend Labor Day - can't wait to head to Tahoe in a couple of weeks.  A mini vacation is going to be amazing.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to sorting out the car nightmare - both the insurance and the actual car.  And its affect on me...I'm not sure I've ever looked forward to a visit to the chiropractor more.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment