Saturday, April 5, 2014

Three Weeks and Counting....

I realized today that we have three weeks until we leave for Nepal...crazy.  And it feels like it's so much closer now than when it was four weeks away.  haha...I'm sure next week, when it's down to two, it will feel even closer.  Second to last prep hike tomorrow....eeek!  Crazy....

We got the final trip email yesterday, so that may be why it feels closer too.  It looks like there will be eleven of us in the group, plus the staff from REI.  They're going to pick us up from the airport, which will be nice.  Less to figure out is always good.  Of course, they're going to identify us by our REI t-shirts, which they ran out of in my size.  Good news, they're sending me a bag...bad news, I'll get lost at the airport. Haha...we also have luggage tags, so I should be good.  But,  knowing my luck, who knows.

It also looked like our carry-ons might not count toward the 30 lb weight limit, which, if that's the case, will be a huge relief.  Not that I want to bring a ton of stuff, but 30 lbs is not a lot and once I add in contacts, contact solution, medicine, first aid kit, etc, etc, I feel like it's going to add up quickly.  As long as I can bring enough snacks to quell my 'im always hungry' appetite, everything will be ok.  haha...I emailed them to confirm, so we'll see what happens.  

I spent a few hours today running through the headlands.  I added a trip down to muir beach into what has become my normal route through pirates cove.  Time wise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I felt like I was walking a lot more, but I was only a few seconds/mile off of my pace from last week.  Looking at my splits, I think my time through pirates cover was a lot faster than I was last week and the week before.  Hopefully that means I'm getting stronger and will continue to do so.  I'm trying hard to build some distance before the trip - who knows what I'll lose or gain while trekking for days on end, but we're looking at a 50k (classic me, right?) a month after we get back, so want to at least give myself a shot at it.

However, crawling out of muir beach was as awful as I remember it.  Not as bad on the way down as it was during North Face, but the way up was pretty rough.  Probably not as rough as North Face, since I was only at mile five or so instead of mile 16.  Of course, as I'm crawling my way up the crazy hills, I come upon paw prints...giant paw prints.  Sweet...I was hoping I could get mauled by a mountain lion today...but, after a nice trip down miwok cutoff, I was back to my car.  Which was in a really good parking spot....complete with the satisfaction that the car in front of me blocked traffic for several minutes to wait for someone to pull out, yet, I ended up with the best spot and didnt hold up traffic.

Other than that, Game of Thrones starts tomorrow!  Yay!  We've been waiting for quite some time for that....like, since the end of last season.  haha.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment