Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pirate's Cove!

I returned to the trails in the headlands today, for the first time since since the North Face marathon, I think.  Knowing that I need to get faster for the 50 mile, especially on hills, I chose one of the most challenging parts of the marathon course - pirate's cove in the Tennessee Valley.  It's pretty much seven-ish miles of straight up followed by straight down, straight up, straight down (you get the idea), and some scary stairs mixed in.  These are the stairs I slipped down during the race, hence, scary stairs.

I ran pretty slowly, and walked a lot of the hills.  However, it was the strongest I've felt on this course in the three times I've been on it.  So, hopefully a great start to building a foundation, because I need to learn to run that hill well.  Really well, since I'll hit the back half of it at mile 40 or something crazy like that. I'm not really going to look too much at training until after Nepal, but hilly runs will help with that training too.  Here's to practice making perfect....or just the ability to finish and have fun.

In other news, the hike we have planned for tomorrow is in an elk preserve - that should be interesting :). I also have hiking pants....finally. And they fit. Haha. And they're not black. I'm also trying out bag number three. This one is a way better pack - better ventilation, pockets, fits better, etc.  also, it's bright blue and not black. Apparently I won't be the goth chick on the mountain.  Haha.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment