Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pre-Race Jitters

Wow...it has been awhile.  So much for hoping to update this weekly....then monthly....then who knows what happened.  Haha...looking back, I feel like I didnt have much interesting to say, but at the same time, there is a ton going on.  Anyway....

The race that for a year has only been a date on the calendar and a far off thought in my imagination, will be here in two days.  The year of training, from the 8 mile pirates cove loop countless times before Nepal to a windy 4th of July run to my first 50k to my last training run on Thanksgiving, will all be put to the test.  Time cutoffs and rain and dark....lots to contend with....and then I thought I was getting sick earlier this week.  

I would love to say that I'm really excited and cant wait, but I think I'm more cautiously optimistic than anything.  I've put in the training, but I'm still concerned about the time cutoffs.  I wish I had been able to get in more long days, but I know I did plenty of 20-milers.  I have two 50k races and one 50k training run under my belt, but I still wish I had been able to get to 40.  I have to be at the first cutoff by 11:20...23 miles.  I should be ok for that, at almost six and a half hours, I should be at 26 miles by that point.  I'm more worried about the second one...3:15 and 36 miles.  Granted, I should be at mile 40 by then, but I tend to slow down around mile 20-25.  Add to that, those miles will most likely be my least favorite - the descent that scares me the most followed by some tough, but not the toughest climbing.  Ugh...the rest of its not that bad...at least that's what I tell myself.  The third cut-off is the end...after a pretty tough climb (the toughest in my opinion, cause it just keeps going....and going...and going....) up Coyote Ridge.  But from there, it's a downhill I'm pretty familiar with, the uphill I'm really good at hiking, and downhill to the finish.  Easy as that, right?

And there's the fact that its been raining all week.  ALL WEEK.  Seriously?  I know we need the rain, but really, this week?  Ugh....as of right now, there's no rain in Saturday's forecast, but that keeps changing and I'm pretty sure it will be wet anyway.  Hopefully I dont crash out....and it doesnt slow me down too much.  I need all the help I can get.

But, on some level I'm still excited.  I packed my bags for the crew and the drop bag station, and it was kind of fun....thinking about what I would need and the most efficient way to pack things.  It's going to be all about keeping moving, even at the aid stations.  I need to finish this for my 100 miler in March.

Its been a crazy week, well...crazy few weeks.  But, I'm enjoying what's probably my last glass of wine until Sunday (provided I want a glass of wine on Sunday...haha) and chatting about the race with Brian.  No matter what happens, it will be an adventure.  I hiked to Everest while sick....I can do this...at least that's what I tell myself.

Until next time....over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment