Thursday, June 5, 2014

Everest Trek - Deboche - 5/12 - 12,300 ft.

Ok, so before the story....I survived four days of bootcamp this week (it's usually three), but in 'only me' fashion, my jeans didnt make it into my bag.  Awesome...way to rock an athleta inspired look of cycling pants and a nice shirt.  haha....oh well.  It actually worked well somehow.  Also, there were some changes to my job....I'll be working on international stuff and project stuff.  New and different, which is good, but, it's a lot and I dont have my team anymore.  So, mixed emotions, I would say.

And....on with the story....

Today, we continued our descent to Deboche.  We took the upper trail out to base camp, and we're taking the lower trail back, so we've been able to see a lot of different things and places.  Today was a short hike, only took about three hours, maybe a little more.  It was nice to have a semi-rest day, especially after yesterday's long day.

Instead of staying at another lodge, we're camping at the home of one of our guide's friends from his monastery days.  She's let us in her prayer room for meals and in between.  It's a nice, peaceful space, and pretty warm.  Granted, I'm still wearing my parka, but I'm not cold at all.

Tomorrow, we get to visit the Tengboche monastery - that should be cool.  However, it's a somewhat longer day - 5 hours, and has lots of climbing....and here I thought we were descending.

I spent some of the down time today relaxing in my tent (and making sure the laundry didnt blow away in the wind) and thinking.  We're nearing the end of the trek, only four more nights, including tonight.  And, I'm not sure how I feel.  On one hand, we spent a year preparing, and its been a great trip.  Granted, being sick for the entire thing has definitely taken away from some of the fun.  On the other hand, I'm kind of ready to be back in Kathmandu - with a bathroom in my hotel room, where brushing my teeth isnt a major production.

But, what a trip this has been....Everest base camp....Kala Patthar...Nepal...how cool are those things?!  At least we have a few more days in Kathmandu at the end.

Ok, bed time, I think it's the last night to cuddle with a hot water bottle  



No comments:

Post a Comment