Sunday, May 18, 2014

Farewell Kathmandu

First, I'll post my daily Everest blog once I get back to a computer. It's currently pages and pages of handwritten notes - way more than I could type on an iPhone. 

Our adventure pretty much comes to a close tomorrow - other than a trip to the airport and another night in Korea. 

We got back to the KTM from the trek two days ago.  It really felt like a whirlwind adventure that I almost wanted to do again and not be sick for the entire thing, but, really, everything that happened made it everything that it was - and absolutely amazing. From having a 23 minute flight window in Lukla to the climb into Namche to base camp and Kala Patthar, it was full of daily adventures that made me realize I can do things even when I think I can't. 

Once we got back to the hotel, I realized I was ready for civilization again....the shower and clean clothes felt better than anything I've felt before. And the random laundry place did an amazing job, so the trek clothes aren't even smelly anymore. 

We had our final team dinner at Rum Doodle. Super fun and they have giant yeti footprints that the Trekkers and expeditioners can fill it with names and memories and whatnot. Ours had dominos and charlay the zopkyo (yak) and all of our names. It will be great to come back someday and see it. 

Most of the group left yesterday, I think there are only four of us left now, plus one at a different hotel. It was so crazy saying bye to people I felt like I had known forever. Brian, his uncle, and I played cards with several of them before they left, a fun, relaxing day in Kathmandu (especially since we're over the dust and the craziness in the street. 

Other than that, we spent the day grabbing last minute souvenirs...super excited about the little yak statue I found for my desk. And, we grabbed another Everest beer...hopefully they survive the trip home and we can enjoy them when we get there.  

Today we head to the airport, I'm sure that will be an adventure, as will arriving in Korea at midnight. But on some level it feels like we just got here, and I'm not sure I'm ready to leave. However, I am ready to be able to brush my teeth with the tap water, have power all day, and put on make-up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment